Friday, June 10, 2016

I've discovered the art of creating a picture book is insanely complicated!   It's NOT at all about creating whimsical "cute" art all day long.  There's so much to think about, moving parts galore.  Here's my "to do list" so far:

1.) Master drawing / painting / color theory / composition.  ( I have 1 hour!  I have kids:- )
2.) Think like a film maker: find the right players, cast the scene, adjust the lighting, mood, etc, etc.
3.) Think like a marketeer: who is my audience and what do they need from me?
4.) Google search like crazy, "storytelling principles".
5.) Embrace social media, be a responsible digital citizen and if I build it, they will come. ( I hope )

I'm not getting a lot of attention for my work, so far, and that's ok.  I'll be myself and let the rest follow.  

With that said, I was very fortunate to have a mini conversation online with David Litchfield yesterday.  He's very down to earth and an amazing talent.  I'm a big fan.  His work is honest and beautiful!  Check out his video, "How doing a drawing a day changed my life: David Litchfield at TEDxBedford" http://davidsdrawingaday.tumblr.com






No comments:

Post a Comment